Attend the Board of Standards and Appeals (BSA) Hearing Tuesday, April 8.
What is the BSA?
The BSA is the ONLY CITY AUTHORITY that can approve or deny NYM’s application for the zoning variances they are requesting. CB6 did its part by asking NYM to comply with provisions that will have a significant effect on the size and scope of the expansion. At a hearing on February 11, the BSA requested more information on the application. They will hold a second public hearing on the matter on April 8th.
Why do I need to attend?
We need to have a large and focused presence at this meeting. Our attendance will show the BSA that we are taking this expansion very seriously and that it will affect all of Park Slope. The hearing does provide time for the public to speak so please come and let your voice be heard.
What else can I do?
Download the Consent/Objection form, have it notarized, and return it to the BSA. Also, please consider a donation to Preserve Park Slope so we can continue our campaign for a sensible expansion plan.
New York Methodist Hospital Plans Massive Expansion in the Heart of the Park Slope Historic District
Possibly the Largest Neighborhood Development Undertaken Since the Creation of the Landmark District in 1973
New York Methodist Hospital plans to significantly expand their main campus in Park Slope between 5th and 6th Streets and 7th and 8th Avenues by building a sprawling medical tower.
- The proposed 500,000 square foot building would take up nearly an entire city block and require the complete demolition of at least 15 period buildings on three sides of the block.
- The complex could rise nine stories above ground, reaching a total height of over 152 feet, equivalent to a 15 story apartment tower.
- A proposed multi-level, underground hourly parking garage to be combined with the existing underground lot, providing parking for more than 1000 cars at a time.
- The project is expected to take more than four years to complete and could involve significant disruption to many blocks in every direction.
To date, the hospital administration has yet to present a plan to address the traffic and environmental impact a vast expansion of their medical complex will have on the surrounding residential neighborhood.
We’ll keep you up to date on developments and important meetings.
- Get email updates – Subscribe to our mailing list
- Follow us on Facebook – facebook.com/preserveparkslope
Here are some other resources to help you stay informed and voice your concerns.
- New York Methodist Hospital – Lyn Hill firstname.lastname@example.org, Vice President for Communications and External Affairs
- Brooklyn Community Board 6 – info@BrooklynCB6.org
- Brad Lander – NYC Councilmember: email@example.com
- Stephen Levin – NYC Councilmember: firstname.lastname@example.org
- James Brennan – NYS Assembly: BrennanJ@assembly.state.ny.us