History of 502-512 8th Avenue (Parts 1 and 2)

History of 502-512 8th Avenue (Parts 1 and 2)

Note: The text of this piece originally appeared on our website in two parts, one in February 2014 and the other in May 2015. The two parts have been combined and updated to reflect the recent demolition of the subject houses.

In 1898, the view of Eighth Avenue from Methodist Hospital, also known then as Seney Hospital, was of vacant land from Sixth Street to Fifth Street except for five row-houses. The only lights at night, along that stretch, would have been those lighting the homes of the first residents of 502 to 512 Eighth Avenue.
Read more